Every player in Survive the Dark Ages has their own personal Settlement.
When you are logged in you can find your settlement in the settlement section
Your settlement is where you create your resources, and recruit levies who can be trained into troops, and purchase other upgrades.
Settlements cannot be attacked, instead, they provide you with the resources you will need to take part in the greater wars going on in your kingdom.
There are 4 sections in the Settlement menu that house different upgrades available to you, upgrades can be purchased up to a predefined maximum level depending on your settlement type.
Upgrades that increase the population of your settlement. Settlements with larger populations get a boost to their resource production productivity. Upgrading Sanitation increases your population growth.
Upgrades that directly increase the productivity of a particular resource. It requires resources to upgrade the production levels of your settlement.
Increases the amount of a resource that can be stored in the settlement. This requires resources to upgrade the storage capabilities of your settlement.
Upgrades that increase the military power of the settlement, from upgrades that increase the number of levies that the settlement produces, or the number that can be housed, to upgrades that allow you to hire mercenaries to supplement your army.
There are a number of different settlement types available for selection from the settlement selection page.
The settlement type defines the maximum level for different upgrades in the settlement.
You can change settlement type whenever you want, but any existing upgrades above the maximum level for the new settlement type you have selected will be lost.
The different settlement types are:
- Farming settlement - The best settlement for producing lots of resources
strengths: horse breeders; market places; lumber outposts; farms; sanitation; housing.
- Nomadic Steppe settlement - A good compromise between decent food production and good military
strengths: bowyers and fletchers; horse breeders; training yards; barracks; farm.
- Fortress settlement - The best military, but the weakest economy
strengths: bowyers and fletchers; weaponsmiths; horse breeders; training yards; barracks.
- Mining settlement - Good for iron for troop production, and stone for storing silver, fairly good military
strengths: iron works; barracks; market places; quarries; sanitation; housing.
- Monastic settlement - Best settlement for paper production, good for food production.
strengths: scriptorium; market places; farms; housing.
- Tribal settlement - Not very good
- Unmanaged settlement - Starting settlement, also not very good. Once you change from it, you cannot change back.